Monday, July 6, 2009

5 weeks post op

Today was the day that I had been DYING for!! But by the time morning rolled around I was feeling a little apprehensive. My stomach was a mess, I think because I was nervous, I've been living with my mouth banded closed for over a month now so I was pretty use to it. But there was no way I was going to tell my OS that I thought we should wait until I was 6 weeks. So when I got in the room he just snipped all of the rubber bands and picked them out of my mouth. Then he told me to open up my mouth so he could pull out the splint. But my splint had an attachment, it was on the roof of my mouth to help my pallet heal because he expanded it. My god did it hurt when he started pulling it out, my jaw did not want to open up wide enough for it to fit out of my mouth. When it came out my mouth tasted DISGUSTING, the splint looked and smelt disgusting, I am definitely glad to have that thing out. After he took it out I went to say something to him and then immediately plugged my ears because the sound of my voice totally creeped me out, it sounded nothing like me! I'm not making fun, but I sounded like a deaf person trying to speak. My OS then put some tight elastics in the back of my mouth, he said I had a little bit of an open bite from the splint being in there, so the rubber bands need to keep me completely closed again in order to fix that. I don't mind having the bands in there and my mouth being closed really, it's helping me gradually ease into opening and closing my mouth. At least I don't have that whole mess of bands throughout my whole mouth, and thank god that splint is out. So these bands he just put in will stay in until next Wendesday, and then he said he will put on some lighter elastics so I can open and close a little more.

Even though I can barely open my mouth, my jaw is seriously saw from talking and trying to open my mouth today. I think I've probably stood in front of the mirror today for about a good 2 hours total throughout the day! After my appt Anthony and I went to the mall to find me a swim suit, and I was even looking at my relfection in every store window smiling and checking out my new face! Anthony eventually caught on and I think he tried to pretend that he didn't know me. Whatever. I'm sure anyone else who has gone through this was obsessed with looking at their new bite every chance they got! Another plus is that I only have to strain what I'm eating once and it is so much easier to eat. I also drank a Strawberry Banana Orangle Julius for the first time today, and it was heavenly.

Time to give Aiden his tubby, put him to bed, take some tylenol and then go to bed myself!

This is right before we went to the surgeon this morning:
And this is right after we got home from the surgeon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment